At the San Diego Automotive Museum the Admissions & Sales Lead trains, supervises, and assists in the evaluation of retail staff. They manage the sale of merchandise and inventory control for the SDAM Gift Shop. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Guest Experience, the Admissions & Sales Lead ensures an exceptional museum experience that engages and retains customers and team members.
- Oversee the Gift Shop retail operation to assure that maximum revenues are achieved and the shop is operating in the standards and expectations set forth by the Deputy Director of Guest Experience.
- Provide critical insight and ongoing suggestions for store layout, merchandise purchasing and display, and appropriate inventory levels to increase sales and improve the visitor experience.
- Develop and maintain meaningful relationships with vendors to enhance the product mix, manage inventory, and offer unique shopping experiences.
- Train Retail Sales Associates; oversee retail sales customer service issues; monitor security loss and prevention measures and system; maintain regular presence “on floor”, and model excellent customer service for all staff.
- Perform daily balances; ensure timely and accurate POS data entry and maintenance; reconcile and prepare weekly deposit when the deputy director is away.
- Generate sales and inventory reports; provide data-driven purchase analytics.
- Suggest areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Performs Retail Sales Associates tasks, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience training and supervising retail sales staff
- Retail/customer service experience required
- Established ability to produce sales results, while minimizing loss
- Proven supervisory skills, with ability to communicate effectively with co-workers
- Ability to make appropriate buying decisions and sustained inventory based on financial goals, buying trends, and purchasing guidelines
- Ability to forecast trends and respond accordingly—including markdowns, merchandising, new items or collaborations, and inventory controls
- Ability to develop and implement marketing strategies and goals
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate and encourage others
- Effective verbal and written communication skills for working with staff, volunteers, and community members
- Creative self-starter, able to work effectively alone and with others
- Experience working with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Salesforce, QuickBooks POS, and other standard office software
- Knowledge of, interest in, and or obsession with automobiles, automobile history, and the automotive industry is a BIG PLUS
- Prior Balboa Park experience and knowledge a plus
Typical Physical Demands
Sitting at desk/workstation for extended periods of time. Frequent walking, standing, stooping, bending, climbing stairs, and lifting/carrying/pushing up to 50 lbs.
Typical Equipment Used
Regular use of computer, printer, telephone, and other standard office equipment.
This is a part-time, 30 hours per week, nonexempt position, Wednesday-Sunday. Weekends are mandatory and some nights may be expected. Pay range is $18.00 – $22.00 per hour, commensurate with skills and experience.
About the Museum
The San Diego Automotive Museum in Balboa Park is home to an outstanding collection of motorized vehicles with the mission to tell the story of the social and technological past, present, and future of motorized vehicles throughout its collections, exhibitions, and educational programs. Our collection is always changing and evolving.
The Museum opened in December of 1988 and is a nonprofit corporation under section 501(c)(3). At the San Diego Automotive Museum, we strive to be as diverse and inclusive as the vehicles we display. Be yourself. Every race, gender, age, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, and life experience is valued and celebrated here. Everyone is welcome, accepted, and respected. Join us!
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $18.00 - $22.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekends required
Part-Time Retail Sales Associate
$17 - $20 an hour
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Full Job Description
The San Diego Automotive Museum in Balboa Park is home to an outstanding collection of motorized vehicles with the mission to tell the story of the social and technological past, present, and future of motorized vehicles throughout its collections, exhibitions, and educational programs. Our collection is always changing and evolving. The museum opened in December of 1988 and is a non-profit corporation under section 501(c)(3). At the San Diego Automotive Museum, we strive to be as diverse and inclusive as the vehicles we display. Be yourself. Every race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience is valued and celebrated here. Everyone is welcome, accepted, and respected. Join us!
The Retail Sales Associate is responsible for handling admission and sales transactions in the Museum Store. This position is the first and main contact point between the Museum and the visiting public; appearance and attitude are primary considerations. Sells admission tickets, store merchandise and memberships, and handles cash and credit card transactions.
This role is hourly, part-time with weekly hours averaging 25 hours per week including weekend shifts, 5-8 hours per shift. Reports to the Deputy Director of Visitor Experience.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Retail Sales Associate who:
- Is a great communicator. Assists the museum members and visitors in a friendly and courteous manner to provide an amazing visitor experience.
- Is productive. An engaged member of the team interested in the Museum operations and its history as well as Balboa Park.
- Is responsible. Arrives on time, and excels at accurate sales transactions including working with merchandise, counting money, keeping the store neat and stocked, and closing procedures.
- Flexible schedule. Willing to work weekends and some nights.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Working knowledge of computers. Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is a plus
- Ability to understand and utilize the point of sales computers and cash management system. A minimum of six months experience desired
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated motivation to interact with the public and staff
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time at a workstation, walk, stand, climb stairs, and lift and carry up to 40 lbs
- Must be able to work weekend shifts, some nights, and some holidays
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages is a plus
- Knowledge of Balboa Park is a plus
SDAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era, will be considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability. If you are disabled and need accommodation in the application or interview process, please call 619-398-0303 to request such accommodations.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $17.00 - $20.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Weekends required
All employees must follow County, State, and Federal COVID-19 safety protocols.