At the San Diego Automotive Museum, the Volunteer Coordinator will administer all aspects of the museum’s volunteer program including recruiting, training, and supervising volunteers. This new role with the museum is an opportunity to work with a great team to build on existing processes while developing new opportunities. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Guest Experience, the Volunteer Coordinator also manages the interns for the museum.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and onboards a diverse group of volunteers and interns through social media, in-person outreach, community events, SDAM website, etc.
- Schedules, coordinates, and assigns volunteers to appropriate areas and events.
- Develops and leads volunteer training program for new volunteers and interns.
- Coordinates with Education Manager, Director of Events, and other stakeholders to ensure adequate staffing by volunteers and interns.
- Drafts, maintains, and publishes application, handbook, guidelines, best practices, and procedures for volunteer program.
- Maintains and updates files, records, applications, and other data concerning volunteer program.
- Regularly communicates with volunteers and interns to ensure placement is a good fit.
- Completes required institutional paperwork for volunteers and interns, as needed.
- Develops and maintains budget for volunteer program.
- Develops volunteer recognition program and organizes appreciation events and activities.
- Provides regularly reporting on volunteer hours, budget, and other information.
- Performs volunteer tasks during times volunteers are unavailable.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience recruiting and working with volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- Certificate in Volunteer Management a plus
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate and encourage others
- Effective verbal and written communication skills for working with staff, volunteers, and community members
- Creative self-starter, able to work effectively alone and with others
- Experience working with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Salesforce, and other standard office software
- Knowledge of, interest in, and or obsession with automobiles, automobile history, and the automotive industry is a BIG PLUS
- Prior Balboa Park experience and knowledge a plus
This is a part-time, 30 hours per week, nonexempt position, Friday-Tuesday. Weekends are mandatory and some nights are to be expected. Pay range is $22.00 – $27.00 per hour, commensurate with skills and experience.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!